Saturday, April 6, 2013

Hello, Day 6!!

I can't believe the first week of this challenge is almost over.  It hasn't been an easy week and I have definitely felt some detox results, but I have also won some battles against cravings and negative feelings.  And I haven't stepped on the scale once.

I have attempted this challenge before.  The Whole30 program is available online and in the book "It Starts With Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.  I first found it last fall after doing some research on the Paleo diet and reading the book "Wheat Belly."  Both books make a very convincing case against the consumption of grains with pretty solid science.  "Wheat Belly" is written by a cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, and he has been very successful treating heart patients with a diet of no grains.  That caught my attention - there is a connection with the over consumption of grains and heart disease!

Both diets strictly forbid sugar, also.  No one needs a scientific study to know that sugar is bad....artificial sweeteners are just as bad.  Well, anything artificial is bad, and our bodies don't recognize it as food.

The problem with grains is the inflammation they cause in the body.  When the body is in a constant state of inflammation, disease occurs.  It's like a cut that never heals.  That cut will eventually get infected and disgusting and it will take drastic measures to try to heal it.  That's our bodies on grains....a cut that never heals.

Anyway, I was NOT successful doing Whole30 on my own.  It's not an easy transition and without people looking over my shoulder and pushing me along, I lasted 4 days.  I tried it again, but it was over Thanksgiving, so that was a no go!!

This time I am determined!  Besides, I would have to admit failure to all of you, and that would pretty much be a total embarrassment, causing me to never show my face in public again.

Today is also our first yoga/meditation session in conjunction with this challenge.  I'm anxious to see how my fellow challengers are doing, and to some great yoga!

Dinner tonight is spaghetti squash and these fabulous meatballs.  They are truly the BEST meatballs I have ever eaten!!  I found this on Mom Gone Paleo a few months back and they are often requested in my house now.  http://momgonepaleo.com/my-new-favorite-crockpot-paleo-meatball-recipe-i-outdid-
myself-this-time/.  You must try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment