Monday, April 22, 2013

Day 22 - The Home Stretch

Here it is....Day 22.  We are in the home stretch of this challenge, kids.

Only eight days left.  And Miss Katie, our ever optimistic leader, has issued yet a challenge within this challenge; no nuts for the rest of our time and fruit only with breakfast.  The gauntlet has been thrown and I am up to the task!!!

I will admit to probably eating too many nuts, and maybe too much fruit.  I tried to keep my fruit consumption down to just twice a day and only with a protein, but I wasn't always diligent about it.  I made it through yesterday, and I only have 8 more days to go, so I KNOW I can do this.

Nuts and fruit are not bad and are totally allowed on Whole30.  The problem is that nuts are high in fat and are difficult on the digestive system for some of us.  Fruit is wonderful with many of the vitamins we need and lots of fiber.  The problem with fruit is that it has A LOT of sugar.  It's natural sugar, but sugar nonetheless and can cause a spike in our blood sugar.  Psychologically, it can become a crutch and takes the place of our something sweet in the afternoon or the sweet snacks we turn to.  Giving up the nuts and fruit for even a short period of time can help us to reset our needs and learn to cope with our stress, boredom, or "sweet fix" in a different way.

I made this awesome dinner last night and it was so easy!!!  I found this recipe for One Pot Mustard and Lemon Chicken with Carrots on The Foodee Project from Crankin' The Kitchen.  (http://crankingkitchen.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/one-pot-mustard-and-lemon-chicken/)  I steamed some asparagus to go with it and it was a huge hit with the family!  There is quite a bit left over for us to enjoy for lunch or our leftover night on Thursdays.

The sun is out, it's not raining, and it's above 40 for a change, so I'm biking to yoga and then going for a short, 3 mile run when I get home.  The weather looks to be pretty nice this week which means I will actually be able to run outside!  I may be ready for that half marathon next month after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment