Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 23 Junk is everywhere

Day 23 of loving my greens.

First, I have pretty much stopped the smoothies and am just eating the greens.  The smoothie recipes have been more juice than anything else lately and don't do anything for me.  I need real food in the morning; drinking the smoothies have just left me hungry.

It is FREEZING here in the tundra.  The low tonight is to be in the upper THIRTIES.  Yes, you read that right, it's the end of May and lows are to be around 37.  The high Saturday is only going to be in the 50's.  I may need to dig out the winter stuff again.  It's so cold and rainy, which is another reason I don't want smoothies in the morning.

This morning I was thinking about all of this healthy eating and changing our diets and I realized that food is not the only junk in my life.  Junk lurks everywhere....junk mail, junk TV, junk Internet sites, junk clothing, junk movies.....you name it.  While purging the junk food out of the house, I think it's time to purge all of the junk.  The junk clutters up bodies and lives and daily living, and zaps energy in different ways.

I would LOVE to start with purging the junk from our home and lives by dumping the cable TV.  There is truly nothing decent on TV now and it's hard to justify spending over $100 a month on something that does nothing but allow us to waste time and clutter our minds with crap.  The guys in my house are the biggest sports fanatics ever and I don't know that I can get them on board with cable-less living, especially during football season.  If it weren't for sports, the cable would have been gone long ago.

The next thing that I would really love to get rid of is Facebook.  It's not a necessity, but I'm not sure how to keep in touch with so many people in any other way in this day and age.  Again, FB is a huge time waster and there is so much junk on it now!  I do think a clean up and purge of my "Likes" and friends list is in order.

Lastly, there is just too much stuff in my house.  We all need to get rid of stuff.  Holding on to some of it for sentimental reasons is ridiculous; it's in boxes in my basement that no one has looked at in years, so none of it can be all that important.  The summer long project here is to get rid of half of all of it.

Getting rid of the junk and clutter in my life has led me to my next challenge; for June, I'm going social media free for the month.  Now, as I'm blogging about my challenges, I will continue to update via blogger (and hopefully be more motivated to keep it more up to date) and I have to keep up with email as most people communicate that way these days, especially the schools.  But for June there will be no Facebook, Pinterest, or any other social media.  (I have a Twitter account, but I never use it.)  Maybe it will go so well that I will get rid of all the Internet junk!!

1 comment:

  1. We cancelled cable TV almost two years ago and don't miss it at all. Instead, we got a Roku box for both TVs; it uses wifi to stream things like Netflix and Hulu, but there are a bunch of other channels (including PBS). We pay less than $20 a month, plus whatever we rent or buy from Amazon Instant Video (which usually isn't much). Even the kids don't miss cable. And I promise I am not a paid Roku spokesperson!

    ReplyDelete